Skip to main content

THE LONG WALK TO FREEDOM


I can only rest for a moment for with freedom comes responsibility.
Long walk to freedom 
This is a memoir of one of the notable past African leaders; Nelson Mandela. This book chronicle the event of all that happened in his fight together with the other freedom fighters against the apartheid. 

He, Nelson Mandela narrated everything that happens from the time he was a child in Transkei village to when he went to live with another family outside his village; how he joined the ANC-African National Congress to the creation of militant groups. 

He said that the reason for their struggle was to ensure that it was not only the white minority that would be ruling South Africa. He and the other ANC members believe that black should also have the right to vote and be voted for in South Africa which was not happening at that time.

 The children of the black could go to the same school as the whites. He was resolute that no one should be judged by the color of their skins.  The blacks were treated like modern slaves in their own country. They were living in their own country like it was a foreign land. 

Their agitation for equality between the black and the white led to a peaceful protest. This they did by imploring the workers to go on two days strike. This did not move the government. They wrote letters perhaps there could be negotiations between them and the government, again the government never reply any of their letters. As a result, they believe the language that the government understands is violence.

 This led to the creation of Umukhantho sizwe ; the military arm of the ANC group. Nelson was the founder and commander of this military group. Even though he did not know anything about a war he started reading books about war so that their mission would be accomplished. 

He traveled to other countries to form an alliance with them. One of the countries he visited promise to help in the training of their soldiers. When he finally returned to South African he was arrested and was charged for leaving the country in an unauthorized way. He was sentenced to five years in prison.

Not quite long the secret about the formation of their army got leak to the government. The government arrested some notable ANC members and charged them to court. Mandela was re-arrested. 

In a nutshell, they were charged for treason. The judge sentences them to life imprisonment.  He narrated his ordeal in the prison; how they were transferred from one prison to another. 

How the warders didn't treat them like political prisoners but just like other common prisoners in Robben Island. He was in prison when his mother died, he was there when his daughter got married. He said that his greatest regret was that he could not be there for his family when they needed him the most because he was fighting for the freedom of the people. 

His wife; Winnie stood by him through all his darkest moments. He was incarcerated for twenty-seven and a half years. He became a prisoner at the age of 44 and was released at the age of 71 in 1990. He spent a total of ten thousand days of his life in prison. Not because he committed any crime but for the fight for the freedom of his people.

Nelson after his release started the struggle that took him to prison again. But this time around there were a lot of negotiations upon negotiations with the government. For the first time in South Africa in 1994 or thereabout blacks also have the right to vote and be voted for. Of course, ANC won sixty-two percent of the parliament. 

ANC fought apartheid for eighty years before they achieved their goals. This shows that these men were unrepentant despite being incarcerated. He said and I quote, 'the road to freedom is not always smooth.' Being a freedom fighter means you are not only the father of your children but the father of the people. This shows in the way they took risks in the interest of the people and at the expense of their families. 

Nelson Mandela believes that you only have two obligations in life; firstly, the obligation to your family and secondly obligation to your society or community. And he said that he could only fulfill the latter. 
Their struggles were not for any selfish interest but for the interest of the people. 

He said a man does not become a freedom fighter in the hope of winning personal awards. This was reflected in the way he was undaunted in the face of many challenges that confronted him. He could not bury his mother, one of his sons died, he was not there for his family. Yet, he never gave up on the course he was fighting for.

But I was pained at the point I read that he was separated from his wife. He did not talk about what brought about the separation but he did say there were somethings they didn't agree on. He also mentions that he failed them. I felt the pain that how could he separate from a lady that was with him in his darkest moment no matter what the cause may be.

 This lady was also maltreated by the government, was given house arrest just to make sure her husband was broken completely where he was incarcerated. This lady was the one that looks after their children; according to him, the children were still small when he was sentenced to life imprisonment.  

I learn from the book never to give up hope if hope hasn't given up on me. Because when he was in prison he was still studying for his Ll.B, he was still doing cultivation farming. He also drafted the first 500 pages manuscript of his memoir in the prison. 

Even when all the hope was lost he never lost hope. He was eventually awarded a degree in law in absentia from the University of South Africa. Meanwhile, he ought to have bagged the law degree in the University of Witwatersrand but left without completing it.

I learn from the book that if we give up many lives that hang around our neck will suffer for it. Because Nelson could choose to live a life devoid of struggles and have time for his family. He could have chosen not to fight for freedom and face his job and his family. But believe me, maybe apartheid would have still been in South Africa till today. But because he did not give up hope even in the face of hopeless situations he found himself. The freedom the black enjoy today was birth through his struggles. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize together with the then South African President F.W. de Klerk in 1993. He later became the South African president in 1994 and ruled till 1999. 

I will like to end this note with this quote of his; 'I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibility. And I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come.'


Akerele Odunayo Samuel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to