Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW: OTHELLO

Book review

TITLE: OTHELLO 
AUTHOR: WILLIAMS SHAKESPEARE 

************
Brabantio has been gossiped to by Roderigo that Othello had eloped with his dear daughter. This gossip wasn't out of goodwill to Brabantio but for the fact that he was also lusting after Desdemona- Brabantio's daughter. This he did not without Iago's hand who was Othello's most trusted servant. The news did not meet him well; out of anger, he went to the Duke's chamber to report Othello's act of witchcraft. For he believed that her daughter was enchanted by him. 

The duke and the senate in councils were discussing the imminent attack of the Turk on Cyprus, and they summoned Othello being the chiefest general. Brabantio got to the palace before Othello and had already narrated his ordeal to the duke and the senates. 

On arrival of Othello, once again he accused him of using enchantment to lure his daughter away from him. Othello did explain how he won her heart without magic or enchantment. To corroborate this, he asked someone to call Desdemona. Her words tally with his on her arrival. The duke then dismissed him and told Othello of his new task- to lead a force to the border in order to stop the Turk ship from gaining entrance into their city.

Iago who was Othello's most trusted servant actually had a motive of separating him and his wife. Seeing that Roderigo was also lusting for her, he pretended to help him (Roderigo) to get closer to Desdemona, but he was just using him as a pawn to carry out his own heinous act.  

Othello with his officers went to the border to carry out their duty. But nature did fight on their course without even raising a sword. A raging storm wrecked the ship of the Turk.  They all went back home and Othello went back to his lovely wife to observe his honeymoon. He loved her so dearly and she also reciprocates the kind gesture. 

Iago being a knave was keen on getting them separated. While Roderigo still believes that he was fighting for his course not knowing that he was being used.  He plans to use Cassio; a Dear soldier to Othello in executing his plan by framing him up. He did know his weakness that he didn't have much capacity to consume much liquor. While they were in the joyous moment of the Turk shipwrecked he pestered him to take a little wine, at first he disobliged but later obliged.  

After he was drunk, he misbehaved, this made general Othello relieved him of his post and this post was dear to him. Iago being a cunning man also offered to help him. He told him to get through to Othello through his Lady. Cassio summoned Desdemona so that she could help him appease Othello. She vouched to help him for he's a good man. 

But Iago uses this to poison Othello's mind against his wife. He told him there might probably be something going on between his wife and Cassio. 

He used all means to poison his mind against Desdemona, his jealous nature made it easy for Iago to manipulate him. 
He stopped being nice to his wife because of what he had been told. Iago asked his wife (Emilia) who's a maid to Desdemona to help him steal a certain handkerchief that her husband gave her during their honeymoon. He concealed his intention of what to use it for from his wife. He had planned to drop the handkerchief in Cassio's room and then make it obvious to Othello that his wife gave it to him. 

This would serve as evidence that they are having an affair. He knew it would cut Othello's to the marrow to hear that the handkerchief he gave to his wife she gave it to another man. Knowing fully well that this handkerchief was dear to him.

He did succeed in his plan and as a result, Othello plans to kill both Cassio and Desdemona because he thought she had betrayed his love. He had ordered Iago to execute Cassio while he executes her himself. 

Iago had manipulated Roderigo to kill Cassio but he failed in his mission. Roderigo died in the process. Othello killed Desdemona. Thereafter, he knew that Iago was lying. 

Despite that Othello was a general, he wasn't strong enough to handle betrayal, assuming it was true she betrayed her. It is not good to listen to gossip because most times it does more harm than good. If he had chosen not to listen to Iago he's mind wouldn't have been poisoned. 

From this book, I see why it is good not to trust all but love all. Because he could have walked in love with Iago yet gave his opinion of his wife a second thought. But jealousy wouldn't let him do so. Too much jealousy is evil. 

I am Akerele Odunayo Samuel. Remember, keep being good and keep being real. 

 Please share your thoughts with me in the comment . 

#Staysafe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to