Skip to main content

YE PREACHER OF IT'S GETTING BETTER!

Getting better
 

*********************************
Ye preacher of 'it's getting better
Come, let me ask you
Is it anywhere near better now?

For decades, you have been preaching this 
Then, they fought and broke the mace 
Now, they fought and carted away the mace 
They were eager to rule for selfish interest 
We, we are eager to rule for personal interest 

Them, they had visions
We, we don't have vision 
Them, they borrowed a little
We, we are borrowing more than we can pay 

Then, slavery 
Now, modern slavery 
Then, secession
Now, secession and rejection 


Then, unemployment was subliminal
Now, it has reached a crescendo
Then, few went abroad for greener pastures
Now, all and sundry are eager to go abroad

Then, the exchange rate was good 
Now, it keeps on getting worse 
Then, our education standard was high 
Now, no standard is found in our education 

Then, thieves get a conscience 
Now, they are heartless 

Ye preachers of 'it's getting better'

Should I go on? 
However, you may be right! 
Maybe I misconceive your notions 

We are getting better in looting 
We are getting better in crimes
We are getting better in bribery and corruption
Yes, are we not getting better? 

Rapist cases on the increase 
Tribalism keeps getting stronger
Our young ladies are into prostitution
Our youths become devil's vices 
Perpetrating high-level evils 

Ye preachers of getting better 
If your definition of getting better is otherwise 
Then, we are not getting better.

©OdunayoSam, 2020. 

#Happy Independence day
#EWI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to