Skip to main content

I PROPOSED A DECEIT

A childhood experience.


I was born when the time was still partially measured by the throaty crow of the cocks. When if cock refuses to crow, the time was measured by the height of shadow. 


I can still very much remember how my father would say the time is three o'clock in the afternoon because the shadow had reached a certain height on the wall in our backyard. Sometimes I was wowed at the level of his intelligence. 

He didn't mark that particular spot on the wall and he never for once missed it. I tried doing but kept on missing it. Then, I used charcoal to Mark it. Isn't beautiful to say I also measured time by the height of shadow? Winks. 

My father was a farmer and partially a hunter. He was very diligent and good at what he does. He had cocoa, cola nut, plantain, yam, maize, cowpea, and rice farms. He was rich in goats, and different kinds of fowls. Apart from the fact that he uses labor we the children were also part of the labors employ on his farm.

 We worked all year round. By the time I was thanking God in my lazy mind that we were about to finish the weeding of a particular farm, another farm was already set for weeding. If not weeding, spraying of pesticide, harvesting, other farm management is among what we used to do all year round. Like a soldier at a duty post no time for resting. 

Like I used to tell people I was born with a golden spoon because the silver spoon will be an understatement. Because if any man has now what my father had then, he's wealthy not just rich. A story for the other day though. We usually go to the farm in the morning, had a break around 1 or 2 pm in the afternoon. Then, resume back to the farm around 3 or 4 in the evening. We closed finally by 7 pm latest. We did this all year round. Despite my father do employ external hands. 

There was a day it was raining very early in the morning. And whenever it rained like that I usually pray that it didn't stop while it's still called morning because if it did we would still go to the farm. But unfortunately, the rain stops around 10 am.  I felt like crying but couldn't because after all, I would still go to the farm.

 What we had to do that day was to spray pesticides. When we got to the farm, even before then all our trousers were soaked as a result of the dews settle on the leaves along the path leading to the farm. 

It was me and my brother alone. Seems we were the only one available that particular day. Probably my other elderly ones have traveled. I then proposed to him to not let us spray the herbicide since the rain had fallen that morning none would know that we didn't spray it. The cocoa pods were already wet. And exactly what would happen if we spray it. Let us deceive the man-my father, after all, he's not here, he wouldn't know. 

He looked at me and smile. "But the pest would still plague the pods and it would be a loss, he said. He then shared an anecdote of how a young man was put in charge of a building project. But that the young man sees it as an opportunity to make wealth. Hence, he used inferior materials all through. After the completion of the building, he handed over the keys to the one who sent him. 

But the man disobliged and told him the building is for you. But I decided to keep it secret to know if you would do it for me the way you would for yourself. The man when he ought to leap for joy was deeply hurt within because he knew what he did."

 He then told me that whatever I'm doing for others in life, I must always see it like I'm doing it for myself. Forsooth you're doing it for yourself.

Morphologically, lies, and truth might look alike but trust me they have different genetic makeup. Their effect will definitely be different, this I learn from the anecdote. Even, if he had accepted my proposal, it might not be known to our father immediately but he would definitely know when the effect of the herbicide could not be seeing on the pods.

This shaped my life beyond the mere description of the tongue. Today, if I will not do it the way I will for myself, I will rather not do it at all. It will be a false image of yourself to think you can't do it for others and believe you can do it perfectly for yourself. 

Though many have seen this as a weakness I see it as strength. Some even take advantage of me but I care not. Because I know from my father that the proof of good doings is not always a success. Even most times you are persecuted for doing good. But it is a sacrifice we must always all be eager to take to make the world a better place. 

Remember, keep being you and keep being good.

I am AKERELE ODUNAYO SAMUEL

#Staysafe
#Stayhome





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to