Skip to main content

COVID-19: IMPLICATION

                      



The world stands still. Things are turning upside down; the people therein stand in awe of a virulent agent. This one is not biased in its dealings. The sound of corona brings fear to the rich and poor alike. It’s not a thing of either developing or under-developed countries alone. Even developed countries are equally affected. 

It’s spreading like a wildfire: From Asia to Europe, North America, South America down to Africa countries.  Some are learning hygiene the hard way, not until now I believe the world can be so troubled, corona war is a global war, this isn’t for poor African countries alone. We shall fight this war and shall conquer. Fear of food scarcity looms, as hunger is also a weapon of war, no matter the strategy it uses, we shall conquer

Late December 2019, there was an outbreak of a virus called Corona in Wuhan, China. This virus spread rapidly within China but today cases have been recorded across Europe’s, Africa, America and so on. The cover-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization in March this year. There are seven different strains of human coronavirus.


In 2003, there was an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS-COV), Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus outbreak 2012 (MERS-Cov), Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus outbreak, South Korea, 2015 (MERS-Cov), Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus outbreak 2018 (MERS-Cov) and COVID-19 (Wikipedia). Researchers have claimed that COVID-19 couldn’t have been engineered because the analysis of the whole genome sequencing data indicates that it originated through a natural process. 


It was initially believed to be a China thing but as of today, its spread is global. As of last year December, it never crosses Chinese borders, and no country thought it would turn out to be something the whole world would be battling today. It was a shock to the world at large when what was epidemic in China turns pandemic. Pandemic is an epidemic disease that’s affecting the world at large.

 The word pandemic is from two Greek words; Pan- all and demos- people. Literarily it means it affects all people. Corona pandemic is not the first in history, there are many before it, such as Black Death, Spanish influenza, and Human Immunodeficiency Virus / Acquired Immunodeficiency (HIV / AIDS). The recent event across the world now is obvious that the corona pandemic has held the whole world standstill. Is it the containment that has led to border closure, shutting down of schools, stores, hotels, supermarkets, many businesses and ultimately the restriction of social gatherings most especially church meetings? 


All the leagues across the world have been suspended completely- even premier league the best of all is not excluded. Social, political and all sorts of gatherings have been placed an embargo on till further notice. I was watching CNN a couple of days ago, I saw some stores and supermarkets that have closed down till further notice. The funniest thing is that the fear is even spreading faster than the pandemic itself. Many are afraid of going out because of the coronavirus. 

The Economic implication of COVID-19
Coronavirus

And I don’t blame them, because I myself do not want to contract it. During the Ebola virus outbreak in my country, social gatherings, church meetings weren’t placed an embargo on. and people still go about their daily activities. What is special about COVID-19? I think the mode of transmission is.

“The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person. Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet). Respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. 
 It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads (CDC)”

The impacts of this outbreak cannot be over-emphasized. The closing of borders in some countries is detrimental to international business.

 The borders closure doesn’t look friendly to importation and exportation. And there are many people directly or indirectly depending on these for food. Hence, they will be jobless during this period. This can also lead to a hike in the price of goods because of the high demand against low supply. This pandemic can also lead to food scarcity which doesn’t sound nice at all. 

 The capsule overview of the implication of corona pandemics includes Fear, which can lead to individual behavioral changes. It is obvious that fear is all over the places. If you cough or sneeze now, even, if you don’t have a coronavirus, people will run away from you.


Economic damage. Many businesses have stopped operating, commercial drivers’ sales have reduced drastically, I heard of banks that have closed down till further notice. 

Disruptions of any form of social gatherings. I met a woman yesterday. She is into the hotel business. She was complaining bitterly that there is no sale. The reason for this is because people are afraid, besides the government has already passed a circular that no gatherings must exceed 20 people. 

Increase morbidity and mortality. 
But the only hope we have now is the will to fight this pandemic until it dies down. And I urge every Tom, Dick, and Harry to take cognizance of all the precautionary measures. Stay safe by constant washing of hands, practicing social distancing, using nose mask and avoid social gatherings.

Before I hang my pen let me seize this opportunity to give kudos to the physicians worldwide who are at the forefront, treating the Infected people.

I also appreciate the scientists doing rigorous research just to make sure they get to the root of this virulent agent.

COVID-19 will soon evanesce, I pray. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to