Skip to main content

THE GIFTS OF MEN



I was in dire need of a job. I had applied to many organizations but only a few called me for an interview. When I heard about this new job opportunity at first I was skeptical because even the one I did the interview was not eventually employed. But I had this witness that I should just apply. 

After I forwarded my CV and cover letter to the human resource mail, a few days later I was mailed to come for an aptitude test the following Saturday.  As usual, I dusted my Gmat and solve some questions therein. Only God knows to what extent I hate seeing that book on my reading table. I want a job, I'd read it from cover to cover yet was still jobless. I was weary of solving questions.

 I wanted to start counting the money I thought. By the way, it seems there was something like a witness within me telling me not to bother reading Gmat. I studied it though. 


I called my friends who also applied for the job if he received the mail. He said no. I was shocked because he was the one that told me about the job. Two days to the day, I studied the Gmat for four hours then later went for Bible study in church.  

Even wearied of going to church but what can I do? It's part of me. It's what I have determined not to stop doing come rain come shine. But I must confess not having a job was a distraction to my service unto the Lord. As much as I didn't want to be distracted, I was still. Some days back one of my brethren, brother Jude, once exhorted me that I should wait for my time. I told him why should I wait for the time when time waits not for me? 

My age last two years wasn't my age now I said. He then told me that fruit has a season. And that different fruit has a different season. Orange has it's own time likewise mango.  'He said I should still be truthful to the process and not ignore it.'  As much as I didn't want to listen to him, his words lifted my soul. 


I wonder what my life would have looked like without the gift of men like brother Jude in my life? On Friday afternoon, Michael called me that he had also received mail to come for the aptitude test earlier in the morning. But that he would not go since the notice was short. He didn't prepare for it. 

 I tried to convince him to study the textbook overnight but he disobliged. This served as a discouragement to me. I also said no I was not going to go for the aptitude test again! But the witness kept on reminding me that I must go for the test. As I was still struggling within me sister Blessing call came in. 

At first, I ain't want to pick it because I know she wanted to ask me about the test. But when she called the second time I picked the call at the first ring. Hello! Brother Sam. 'Hope you have prepared well for the aptitude test you have tomorrow? Yes, ma. Good, I am calling to tell you not to be discouraged, just make sure you go for the test. 


'Your journey is not mine and mine is not yours, so others' decision should have little or no influence on yours. When the sun was rising the moon was setting and vice versa.' Alright, ma. As she said this, it was like someone took all the trouble within me. I felt peace from within. Another gift of men that God gave to me was sister Blessing. 

The aptitude test went well. Earlier in the morning when I was going for the test,  I left home with the last one thousand naira on me. I made sure I ate before I left home because if I didn't have enough money to buy food in a restaurant.

At the bus stop, there were many commuters. I knew that there was a problem. Because the commercial driver would definitely inflate their price. As if I was in the spirit where I took one hand naira in the morning was now three hundred naira. 


And if I dared pay that money I would have to trek half of the journey. Let the journey begins I muttered. I trekked for an hour. Then, I was about entering a bus that would take me home when the holy spirit told me to step back. You say what? Step back! I was tired, I could not cry.

 But I did eventually. He said, you see that boutique go there. I don't have money where would I get money to buy cloth? This cannot be holy spirit. But within me, I knew it was him. I went to the boutique, was about to enter, he said I should pause a bit. Then, a few seconds later he said I should go in, I was about stepping my foot inside when my arm brushed a lady that was coming from inside. What she was carrying fell from her hands. She was fumed. And talked to me anyhow. 

And I told her beautiful sister, it was an accident, I am sorry. What did you just say, beautiful sister? 'Don't deceive me, my boyfriend left because he said I'm ugly. You are here calling me beautiful. I repeated it again. 



Then she gave me an audience and apologized for talking to me in such a manner. The holy spirit said, 'Gospel.'  I knew I had to preach the gospel to her. After she accepted Christ as her Lord and personal savior.

 She confessed that she came to that boutique to buy the best of dress, put them on and snap pictures with it. Then, later send it to her boyfriend that left her and commit suicide. 

She showed me the message she had typed on her phone to send along with the picture to her ex. I was shocked and joyful, but could not just express how joyful I was in that place. Then the holy spirit told me it was because of her I came for the aptitude test, not for the aptitude test. 

Does that mean I would not get this job again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to