Skip to main content

IS IT A CRUSH OR LOVE?


I was like a lone unpaired electron. I had friends who told me how they feel about the opposite gender. I had mocked quite a number of them. Because all that they told me about their feelings sound to me like foolishness. I had seen some of them went for two days without food just because of the opposite gender. They have always told me my time would come when I would need their help. I told them the love thing is not my thing. Wait for it they replied. 


Love can be built from a crush if subjected to the litmus test of time
It was on Sunday evening, I was on my way to viewing center to watch Arsenal match against Chelsea.  I saw the damsel as I'd never seen before. She appeared like a gleaming lake. Her light was like a pale moon. The aura of her presence illuminates.

Then I felt a nudge from inside; she is beautiful. Her smiles can make a bittered soul sweet. The smelt of her body was like that of an alabaster box. I saw her front empire and forgot about what had earlier transpired between me and my friends. Let me stay in this empire forever,  I thought. 

I was restive throughout the match. To make the matter worse Arsenal lost the match. At first, when I got back home my friends thought I was moody because of the outcome of the match. But owing to the fact that they knew that I don't react to the game of football in that manner. Then, they began to be inquisitive about what really happened. I could not tell them because, on many occasions, I had abused them. I even once told them that love is just a fantasy. But now it's my turn who would help me.

David was a friend that no matter what you did to him he would not retaliate. I thought I can still let him know about the state of my heart. I narrated the whole ordeal to him. He then told me it is not a crime to see one you like and walk up to her to let her know. He said the greatest calamitous outcome I can get is a 'No.'  Dave volunteered to be my personal coach. I could not talk to her still. He gave me many books to read yet the story remains still. 

Somehow Michael and Gabriel got to know what I was facing they make jest of me but later offer their assistance. They helped in getting her name. Loretta is the name of the girl I fell for. It is a pity that what I once despised turned to what I love. The love story I had never for once believe. I laugh at it. One of my friends offered to help me talk to her, but I said no. Because Dave said that would make her stereotype me a weak guy. And that she may say no because of that. 'Ladylike guys who are bold, who can rise to face their fears at any time.' 

Tayo (my cousin) told me what was happening to me doesn't seem to be love. She said it might just be a mere crush. Crush! I'm not crushing on her but love her. However, she said it can later be developed into love. 'Give it time.' I got a superpower to make peace between the two parties. 

I got superpower to counsel a shattered soul. I got superpower to stand before kings. I got a superpower to kill a lion. I got a superpower to make sales. I got a superpower to fight lies. I got superpower to... But my superpower fails when I needed to express love to her. 

Who would deliver me from this cage I cage myself, I thought? I love, but the one I love knows not. I cherished but the one I cherished knows not! I cared but the one I cared for knew it not! 

Let me love you like Romeo loved Juliet, Ruth loved  Naomi and Joseph loved Mary. I let go of fear. I put behind worries and chose to face reality. I thought of what David told me. The worst that could happen is a 'no.'  I determined not to be broken even if I got a 'no' for an answer. I chose not to raise my hope too big so that the depth of my disappointment would be reduced to the barest minimum. 

I called Tayo that I would talk to her the following day. 'Don't make your approach a direct one, she advises.' Direct one, I inquired. She then said that I should not ask her out, but ask her to be my friend. I didn't really like the idea, but I obliged.  It was around 2 O' clock when I remembered that one of my friend's friend was celebrating her birthday. I was forced to join the celebration. But I also want to talk to Lauretta. Anyway, I followed my friends to join in the birthday celebration. 

David and Michael went to gist with their old school mates. Gabriel wasn't available because he had an appointment with his boss. Where I was sitting on the table of three waiting for my friends two other guys join me. Boss makes us sit here for some minutes we go soon leave, they said.

 I was feeling bored after all. Not quite long the music stop! The breeze ceases to blow!   cloudy weather turned bright! What was the matter, I thought? Lauretta stepped in gallantly. I was freezing! I never thought I would see her there. Cold sweat covered my body. I requested a bottle of cold water. The most annoy thing was that I notice my crush but she didn't even know if I exist. Am I not going crazy like this? 

Oh boy, comport yourself. You are not a coward! She is human. You can talk to her. I encouraged myself. The two guys beside spoilt my mood thereafter. They knew her somewhere I knew not. They started badmouthing her. One of them said she's a confirmed prostitute. They said all sorts of bad things about her. I felt disappointed. The lady I was crushing on was this bad. I took another bottle of water. 

Michael and David then join me. Michael was of the opinion that we should change seats since there was no seat for them in that table. But the guys said that they were already leaving. Not quite long I saw Lauretta walking towards our table. I saw Michael saying something into Dave's ear. And both smile hysterically. 'I was like, hope it's not what I'm thinking? I'm no longer interested.' I rose up to excuse myself, but Michael delayed me by asking me questions on what he knows. Before I knew it, I heard David saying this is Samuel the guy that ask to see you. Sam, this is Lauretta. I once again froze. 

She stretched forth her hand to shake. I reciprocated hesitantly. My friends left. It's not news that I'm Samuel.  Your name?  Mine shouldn't be news as well, replied she.  Actually, you are right! Lauretta! So why were you pretending? I wasn't, I replied. I think it's more honorable to hear from the horse's mouth.  Now I get, she said. 

I will appreciate it if we become a friend. Although more reason I sought for friendship was because of what those guys said about her. 

Hmm, friendship. But you have many friends, why seeking new ones?  I had three. Argh, it's enough. Ok, I need a female friend. What's special about a female friend? That I don't know. But you ought to know, or those two friends of yours sent you to come and try your own luck, she asked? 'Because they've tried too. So don't try to play a game here.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to