Skip to main content

HOW TO MARKET YOUR SKILL(S).


                    

I personally believe one of the reasons we acquire skills is to have an edge either in the labor market or as a freelancer. But from personal experience, I realize that skill will just remain skill and earn the acquirer of such skills no dime without marketing it. 

Take for instance if I know how to sing and many do not know I have such ability, if they need someone to sing on an occasion, they will never think of me. This is the reason many keep on acquiring skills but ask them how much they have made from the one they possess, they will tell you nothing or a meager amount. The problem is not that they don't have skills, but the problem is that they don't know how to manage and market their skills. This post is coming first from my personal experience as a skill possessor. Secondly, from research.

 I always want to acquire new skill but the one I had acquired was doing nothing with them. Often complain of being broke. Little did I know that I have what can earn me money but was not using it. Today, we will learn about how we can market our skills and start earning from them. 

Firstly, let me ask these questions:
* How does a freelancer gets clients?
* How do you make people pay for your skills?

The answer to the two questions above is very straightforward. Marketing your skills is what we make potential clients know what you can offer.
Let's talk about how you can market your skills. 

At a point, you got broke in 2019. I also sang the song of being broke. But later realized that I don't have to because I have something I can offer. The question is, how many people know you know what you know? Your sincere answer to this question is a step towards marketing your skills.

1. Let all in your circle know what you know. They will be the ones to let others know that you have such a skill. You can offer your friends a free service or at a discounted price This is called itowo in Yoruba. Once they have a taste of your ability, they find it hard to deny it.

2. Your language matters: How? This is not in any way talking about tribal dialect. But simply terminology. Every skill has its own peculiar terminologies. 

And while talking to people about such skills, professionalism demands you to use the required terminology. This makes people see you as an authority in that area of skill. 


                      


3. Share your wisdom: as I said earlier, you can start this by telling your immediate friend about what you know. They also have one or two people they will market you to. 

Don't close your mouth. Let people know you have such a skill. Let them know you can render service to them with it. If there's any individual or organization you think might need your service work up to them and market your skill. 

4. Become an expert: Most times the reason, while we fail to tell people about what we know, is that we think we still don't have enough knowledge of that skill. But look here, the little knowledge of it that you have to be bold about it. 

Though you will make mistakes, in the course of making mistakes, you are building yourself to become an expert. Don't be complacent, go online download more videos and ensure that you watch them. Connect with people who are experts and follow them keenly. If you are consistent in no distant time you are already an expert.

Also,  you can also volunteers to help friends or family members. If you render such free service, even if you make a mistake, they won't be able to talk that much because it's a free service. However, they'll point some of the errors out. Accept and do the corrections. 

5. Use social media: one other way you can market your skills is through social media. It's a pity to see some people who are skillful in carpentry, for instance, posting on their social media outlet stuffs about celebrities, football stars, etc. Nothing on their timeline says anything about what they do. Not even their profile says anything about their core skills. 

By the way, if you want to brand your social media profile or page you can send mail to me @ odun.akerelesam@gmail.com 

All your social media handled must be branded. If possible you can go further to create a professional business page for your product or service. Market your skill on your WhatsApp status, Facebook stories and even Instagram. 

The use of social is just an arm of ONLINE MARKETING. Maybe in one of our next posts, we'll talk about online marketing properly. We still have blogging, website, etc. As part of online marketing. If you want to learn how to blog you can send a message to me on WhatsApp via 0703-3166478.

HOW CAN I MAKE MONEY FROM MY SKILL?

Firstly, by marketing your skills. You render services to people and they, in turn, pay for it.

Secondly, by training people. This is possible only if you have mastered the skill very well. However, this also requires marketing. You can write captivating copyright to let them know you can train them. If you cannot write one, you can hire people to write for you. I can also help in crafting captivating copyright.

Moreover, connect the dots. How? This is for those who have more than one skill. Try and bring together those skills that can go together. For instance, one in photography can also develop skills in graphics. To an extent, both can go together.  

For those of you who just learn a skill for the fun of it, it's good but not that good. You should have a clear goal before deciding which skill to learn. Skill is now gold, the era of knowing it for knowing sake is gone. People are making millions of naira through their skills.

Let me know if this helps. 
I remain your humble friend, Odunayo Samuel, Akerele. 

Remember, keep being you and keep being good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to