Skip to main content

I ALSO DESERVE A BEAUTIFUL GIRL




I had been seen different choice ladies of varied sizes and ages coming to ask after my uncle.

Not only that, but he also bragged about them. I was like one day I too would have beautiful ladies like him. I thought to have a fleet of different beautiful ladies like my uncle was what makes a man a man. I have been thinking that one day I as well would catch one big fish, at least to start with.

And so the D-day came. It was Saturday morning, saw a lady passing, I ran inside the house to meet with my friend who had one chinco phone (China made) because what I was using was palasa (a small, not too fanciful) phone.

I thought that one was not befitting to ask for a lady number. So I opted for my friend's phone.  From my house to the bus stop was five minutes' walk. I followed her from my house to the bus stop, was walking behind her, but couldn't say a word to her.

When we reached the bus stop, I stood beside her for nothing less than forty-five minutes, the same thing happened, I couldn't say a word. At a time she knows my intention, and she didn't want to leave, expecting me to at least be bold enough to talk to her but I disappointed myself and my friend that gave me a phone. Because I had made mouth to him that today I'm getting a girl number.

I wanted to be like my uncle but never asked my uncle the know-how. I could not even say hello not to talk of getting her number. But the truth is that I could not ask her out not because I didn't know the know-how but because I was afraid of a bigger challenge.

After all, that was not the first time of me asking a girl out. But obviously was the first time of doing that in Lagos. I was doing it for the first time in the city. The first experience I had was in the village. So I thought the modus operandi would be a bit different in the city.

Secondly, the girl was not what I think she was in terms of stature when I walked closer to her. I thought she was too pretty to be asked out by me. She dressed too gorgeous for a guy like me to ask her out. Above all, I was afraid if this girl should embarrass me based on the highlighted,l it would not be funny at all. Then I let go of her.

My problem was not what to say or how to say it. But, how I see myself. Likewise, some people problem is not talent or lack of skill but how they see themselves. The truth of the matter is that when you are doing a thing for the first time there is a kind of fear that accompanies it but let not such discourage you.

Low self-esteem; like, this is too much for me, this new challenge is too much for me, I don't think I can handle it, can make one be in the status quo.

Low self-esteem is an anti boldness. It won't enable you to try new things. It will make you have a misperception of yourself. But hear this, no man with such an attitude will ever grow. Because growth comes with new and bigger challenges.

Subsequently, I had asked quite some number of girls out. And the highest disappointment I had about them wasn't abuse but a simple NO. And it is normal for a girl to say no. Not every girl will respond YES, because all cannot be your wife.

Some I perceived say no because they have someone they are dating while some others because they do not know what they want.

So if you are because of failure refuse to start a new project or business, you will remain as you are and nothing magical can take you to your next level.

When you fail, learn from it and move on. The only tragedy is if you fail and because of it, you stop trying or fail to learn from it.

A new year is nearer than you can imagine, my advice for you is to not let your failure in 2019 discourage you from taking up new challenges. Don't give room for low self-esteem because it doesn't help. And above all bite more than you can chew, and don't play safe.

I remain your lovely friend Akerele Odunayo Samuel.


SEE YOU IN 2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to