Skip to main content

THE METAMORPHOSIS OF MR JOSH




In another news, I’m already planning to draft my resignation letter and I would need your help to proof read it. Also financially I would need your help, said he. But you told me last week that your direct boss told you that you are among the staff they would promote in December.

Yes, but leave promotion alone. All I need now is your support, you know you’ve always been my pillar and I know you won’t stop now. What can I do without you? I dare say absolutely nothing. Stay with me in this course, pray with and stand by me.

You always have a way of manipulating my mind to dance to your tune. But I’m not just feeling comfortable with this idea of yours. Not because I want us to get marry, but I feel restless within me. Kikelomo, look into my eye, everything would be alright. Don’t be restless, it’s just a feeling that I’d stay away from you for some time.

But I promised to come back for you. He moved closer holding her hands, promise me you will wait for me, tears started rolling down her cheeks… he used his hands to wiped her face. Please promise me, she nodded her head; does that mean you’d wait for me, he asked. She nodded again. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I also promise that I will never let you down.

You are my love, the only best thing ever happened to me after my salvation. In you I found an indispensable commodity, an entity that worth more than million dollars. Come rain come shine I’ll always love you, Kike. Same here, she replied.

****
Are you out of your mind? You want to resign! I told you that you are among the staff that would be promoted this December. Do you know what that mean? The promotion will come with salary increase, an official car, and some other additional benefits. I’m sorry sir, my mind is already made up. I just want to tell you before I tender my resignation letter. But for the travelling, it’s something I have to do.
I’m no longer comfortable with the country situation; insecurity, killings and kidnapping everywhere. We keep on saying it’ll get better, when?
‘But you are doing fine, Mr. Smith replied.’ Look at you, you have a job and a promising future.  I know sir, but there’s no security on the job. Ten people were sacked just two months ago. Who knows who’s the next? Let me just go and start afresh. I can see your mind is made up, all I can do is to support you in my own little capacity. But remember an adage that says; ‘if this land doesn’t profit me, I’ll go to another land, who knows the land that’s profitable?’
This doesn’t apply to America and Canada sir. If you said so, good luck.

***
I must call Kike to share this good news with her.

Hello dearie, can you just guess what happened to me today? No, I can’t. Just try and guess nah. Your uncle had sent the money he promised you? No. ok, let me tell you that in the next couple of months I’ll be flying like birds not to anywhere but America.
Wow! You have been given VISA. Yes, yes, yes, I told you God is involved. Uncle had not sent the money but Mr. smith, I mean my direct boss promised me a hundred thousand naira. So, like how much do we still need now? Three hundred and fifty thousand naira. I’ll forward it to your account later in the day. What did you just say? You heard me.  Where are you going to get it? 'The loan I just got of course!' Thanks darling. You are welcome, 'you know I can’t trade you for gold. I promise to support you in anything you are doing just don’t let me down.' I won’t, I promise.

Hello Kike I haven’t received an alert? Yes, I was busy in the office. Not quite long after I dropped your call our MD stepped in. He called for an urgent meeting, after the meeting my direct boss gave me some work to do. I just entered my room five minutes prior to your call.




You see what I’ve been saying, you see the reason why we just have to leave this country. How can you keep someone daughter in the office till 6pm? My one and only Kikelomo. Don’t worry dear we will swim through this ocean. ‘Abeg, cut that scrap; won’t you work where you are going to?’

Joshua, this money you are spending for this processing is enough to start a business and we will be our own boss. Pardon! I think we’ve concluded this? Why bringing it up again? Is it because you want to give me three hundred and fifty thousand naira? I don’t want your money again. No, it’s just…… hello, hello! He hanged up.
She called back but he didn’t pick her call.

Hello, I received the money you sent thank you. I thought you said you don’t want the money again! I was expecting you to forward it back to me. You know I need this money but you got me angry. So, one cannot advice you again because you are deluded with travelling abroad? I am not a robot in this relationship, we both have a say. You have no reason to get angry. She hanged up. He called her back, I’m sorry I shouldn’t have, and I understand well that we both have equal right in this relationship. No problem I’ve heard you but such must not repeat itself.

To be continued...

© OdunayoSamuel, 2019       
                                                       Story (Fiction)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to