Skip to main content

It's Doing.


I have been trained to be focused and make my eye single. I was trained to be bold and to a great extent I am. However the world view me as a coward.

Not long after I graduated from the university many folks asked if I was in any platonic relationship with any ladies and the answered was and still no. they all jumped into conclusion that I was afraid to approach ladies. Perhaps I was!

In one of my random thoughts I asked myself sincerely if I could express myself in front of any damsel! I knew I could it but in order to clear any element of doubts deep down the recess of my heart I made up my mind to start asking ladies out just for the fun of it. Lol 

One day while coming from the school where I used to do part-time teaching, was fortunate to sit beside a melanin adorned damsel. Since I wanted to test my confidence level, I approached her not minding other passengers in the bus. After series of persuasion I got her mobile phone number.

 If Im not mistaken, never called the number more than once. After all I didnt collect her number because I have interest in her. Just did to test whether peoples perception of me was true.

Of course I should have known they were all wrong. When I was running my first degree, I do get ladies number. But trust me I never called any of them more than once or at most two times. Maybe they are not beautiful!

 Trust me they are. But starting an affair then was not just my thing. Moreover I felt not satisfy with any of them. Like I said earlier they endowed with beauty. That means my non-satisfaction wasnt premise on beauty. I often tell people in my circle that I dont just start an affair because of choice.

People perceived me to be a coward because I didnt have girlfriend.  I nearly believe it until I confirmed it that Im bold. People perception of you may not necessarily be who you are! However when you keep listening to them repeatedly you begin to act as such.

I cant be judged now that me not having a girl friend is due to lack of confidence. I am sure now that Im confident.
When you keep on listening to pessimistic pep talk, in no distant time you begin to act in like manner.
Confidence is not about being right all the time. Its about letting go of fear of being wrong.

You can think about it over and over again but until you take a step to do it we cant still believe that you can actually do it. Confidence is in doing.
 Pastor Chris once said, you cant win a raffle draw without buying a ticket. Doing that thing you most fear is confidence! One thing I do is that I do what I fear.

When I was in secondary school, there was this girl who I will refer to as Angelina in this context. I overheard some guys discussion that she was too a hard nut to crack for any guy. Too hard to hard to crack or what?

I didnt need a girlfriend but for the fact it was rumored that she was a hard nut, I was interested in her adventure. However, my mother factor would not just permit me to have girlfriend. Because they dared not come to our house looking for Odunayo. I did a little findings about the girl.

I was told shes related to Professor Wole Soyinka because being a non-native speaker she speaks like a native speaker. I summoned courage and went to their house one Sunday evening.

 Their house! Yes, I said earlier I did my findings well and part of what I gathered is that her parent were not always around on Sundays.

I wasn't disappointed at all when I got there because everything I heard about her were all true. I was in their house for two hours talking. I eventually did what they said no guy can do. I broke the too hard a nut to crack. Since I was not interested in having girlfriend I didnt play with her emotion before I let go of her. I took that quantum leap because of what I heard about her.

Theres no better way to build confidence than to do what you fear. Take that quantum action of writing that book you aspire to write.
 Break out of your shell.
Till we meet again, I remain AKERELE Odunayo Samuel.
Remember keep being you and keep being good.

© OdunayoSam, 2019.

Comments

  1. But some people may take your being good for granted. How do you handle such people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christ is our model as Christians, he was also taking for granted, yet He (JESUS) never stopped being good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to