Skip to main content

ASK, OR YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!



ASK, OR YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!

One of the common thing in the society today is that people love to follow trend without knowing the reason. They see people doing it, hence they follow suit. This kind of attitude is the reason why some people assume. They don’t know and they don’t ask. “So many assume, so little know.”  It’s not a crime to ask when you don’t know. Rather than backstabbing people on what you are not even sure of.

People that judge others actually judge themselves. Because they think that what they are doing is what others are doing. And they judge base on that parameter. Wayne Dyer says, “When you judge others you do not define them, you define yourself.”  

There was a time we were solving mathematical problems in the class. We get to a stage where we needed a calculating machine, but couldn’t lay our hands on one. Then, we assumed what the answer might be.
Later we got hold of a calculator to confirm our answer. There was a clear difference between the true answe­r and the assumed.
There is always a significant difference between the assumed and the real value either in mathematics or in our personal life.
Only one out of ten assumptions is right. Moreover, assumption can be dangerous and confusing.
Assumption can leads to unnecessary hatred. Never assume that a person is bad at a distance until you get to know the person better. Or take a step of getting closer to the person. Rather than mere assumption that s/he is bad. Your sneaking feeling about the person may be wrong. That feeling may even be as a result of what you’ve heard about the person in the past. Or perhaps a personal prejudice.  Never judge others until you understand the reason for their choices.
Don’t assume that you are not good because you don’t have many friends .When the going is not good never assume you have sinned. Or maybe God is angry with you. No, not at all, it do happen like that. Gone are those days when something bad happened and I would start thinking of all the sins I’ve committed. Now I know better.

With assumptive attitude you can’t relate well. This attitude can make Christians behave like Pharisees. Such that they quick to pass judgement on others.
That reminds me of the story my pastor told me sometimes ago. He said he went for an evangelism with a fellow Christian Brother. When they were hungry they called at a particular restaurant to eat. The other brother ate Eba while my pastor took only malt. Unknown to them there was another brother from their local assembly that saw them when they entered the restaurant.

Could you believe that the brother went back to the local assembly to report them to the elders that he saw them in a restaurant where they were drinking beer? They were thoroughly scolded by the elders in the assembly. And my pastor asked, “Did the person enter the restaurant with us?” No was the response, and that settled the whole matter.
Can you see how assumptive attitude would have scattered an assembly of saints?

I saw another woman in my pastor car and they were joking together. And so? Are you telling us that your pastor is having extra marital affairs? You better face your own business. Are you a monitoring demon?

It’s not a crime if you don’t know and you ask, rather than assumption which can scatter whole lots of things. On the day of Pentecost when the disciples were at the upper room speaking in tongues. Some people jumped into conclusion that they were drunk.

Though what happened was strange to them but they should have asked question. The disciples were praying in the spirit and they assumed it’s the work of alcohol. So ridiculous.
The reason why some people assume is that they don’t know and don’t want to admit the fact that they don’t know. The question is must they talk? And if it is a must, ask question if you are bold enough.

Ask that woman if she’s dating the man you saw them together rather than polluting the surroundings with rumours that she’s having extra-marital affairs. Shame on you busy body is my hobby. Your own case is worse than witch that flies at night. After all, your own words are fly during the day.

Some people their own assumption has risen to crescendo. Such that they even assume the word of God: they read their mind into the word and call it interpretation of the word. Some can even assume what God is about to say-they Say I think God is about to say.
Assumption can leads to whole lots of errors. It has scattered many homes and relationship, spoil many business, and turn friends against one another. Assumption is not good, it’s not of God.
”Assumptions are the termites of relationship.”  
Don’t be too possessive such that when you see your partner with opposite sex you assume that there’s something romantic between them. Else you scatter your relationship which may pain you later.

Don’t buy into people assumption. Anything that goes beyond YES or NO shun. If it is not ‘YES’ then it should be ‘NO’, there’s nothing like ‘MAYBE’  For instance, Odunayo sucks, yes or no? And the response is maybe. Then it is assumption.
The only antidote to assumption is to ask whatever you are not clear of. And let go of any unnecessary sneaking feelings.


© Akerele, Odunayo Samuel, 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT MATTER

IT MATTER! The topic to be discussed today is ‘it matter’, but the question is, what matters? Join me as we look into this deeply.  When I was in secondary school my Agricultural science teacher taught us then GERMINATION and the factor responsible for growth. Some of the factors are: viable seeds, moisture or water, nutrient (soil) and air (oxygen) When I meditatively considered these factors I realized that not even one out of them is un-important. If any of them isn’t available then the seed growth or germination is in jeopardy. Applying this into our lives’ journey as humans, it is evident that some factors also responsible for our own growth in every endeavors of life. Some take this serious while some others don’t.  When I say growth I do not mean increase in the number of age. Neither do I mean increase in stature. We grow in business, career, and ministry and so on. For us to grow in life we need to take these factors seriously. For instance the viability of th

MY LOCAL FRIEND

                                                               We started this series last week when we talked about ‘lessons from a game of football.’ The capsule overview of last week post is the fact that in a game of football they have a common goal, which is to win. And we established that if at all victory would be their friend then there is a need for them to work as a team. Here is a personal experience shared by a very good friend of mine: I have many friends both in my town and neighboring town. Some of them are educated while some are not. There was a time I went for a conference outside my town. I met new friends at the conference whose exposure transcend some of my friends at home. I needed to get their contacts but both my subscriber identity module (SIM) and phone storage were completely full. A thought cropped up in my mind to delete two of those my friends’ contact. I wanted to delete two numbers, a guy number who was a drop out of secondary school and one ot

SEEDS

I remember when I started teaching as a side hustle. I didn't really take it serious. The first student I encountered,  just walk up to me for asistance, and I taught him at no cost. The last time I met him, he is already a graduate. After I graduated from the university I taught in one, two, three or four places. But those seeds I sowed then jokingly have become trees, I mean  big trees. Just last month I met two of my students in one of the reputable university in Nigeria; one is studying Chemical engineer and the other Computer science. Those were the one I taught between 2017 and 2018. Some of the students I taught between 2015 and 2016 had graduated from universities while some are in their final year. Some of my students are still in secondary schools and they are doing fine. I have students that are not in school but follow their passion either as singers, comedian, etc. and they are as well doing fine. Why am I telling you this? Is it for show, or perhaps to